Indian Gefilte fish Recipe - How To Make Gefilte fish.
Carp meat is off-white in color, with a dark midlateral strip that's often removed before cooking - it can infuse the meat with a strong, musky flavor. It is low in fat, firm in texture, and mild-though it can be muddy in flavor. The skin is edible but not particularly tasty. Common carp have dark and rich flesh, Bighead carp have white and firm flesh. The Silver carp has a firm and white flesh with free-floating bones, slightly translucent. It is white and mild-tasting when cooked. Female carp flesh stays light; it is softer and more delicate than male, and is usually preferred.
Carp, cooked, dry heat fillet (6oz. / 170g.) provide Calories: 275, Protein: 38.9g, Carbohydrate: 0.0g, Total Fat: 12.2g, Fiber: 0.0g, Potassium: 726mg, Selenium: 27.5mcg, Vitamin B12: 2.5mcg, Vitamin E: 15.3 IU, and Magnesium: 64.6mg. 100 grams of cooked (dry heat) carp provides 0.797 grams of Omega-3 fatty acids derived from Eicosapentaenoic Acid (0.305g), Docosahexaenoic Acid (0.146g), and Alpha Lipoic Acid (0.346g).
Recipe of Indian Gefilte Fish with fresh ground carp poached in cooking sauce made of onions, carrots, parsnip, matzah meal, pepper, sugar and salt.
- 1 whole 7 Pounds Carp, filleted and grinded
- 3 Onions, peeled
- 4 Medium carrots, peeled
- 2 tbsp Sugar or to taste
- 1 Small parsnip, chopped (optional)
- 3 to 4 Large eggs
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 Cup matzah meal
- 3 tsp Salt to taste
Serves/Makes: 8 - 10
How to make Gefilte fish:
- Place the reserved bones, skin, and fish heads in a wide, very large saucepan with a cover.
- Add the 4 cups water and 2 tsp of the salt and bring to a boil. Remove the foam that accumulates.
- Slice 1 onion in rounds and add along with 3 of the carrots.
- Add the sugar and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes while the fish mixture is being prepared.
- Place the grinded fish in a bowl.
- In a food processor finely chop the remaining onions, the remaining carrot, and the parsnip; or mince them by hand.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the ground fish.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, the remaining teaspoon of salt, pepper, and the cold water, and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in enough matzah meal to make a light, soft mixture into oval shapes, about 3 inches long.
- Take the last fish head and stuff the cavity with the grinded fish mixture.
- Remove from the saucepan the onions, skins, head, and bones and return the stock to a simmer. Gently place the fish patties in the simmering fish stock.
- Cover loosely and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes. Taste the liquid while the fish is cooking and add seasoning to taste.
- Shake the pot periodically so that fish patties don't stick.
- Garnish fish patties with carrots.
- Gefilte fish is ready.
This Indian Gefilte fish is a very affordable dish. It is delicious, simple, quick and very easy to cook.
This recipe for Indian Gefilte fish serves/makes: 6
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered
Back to top