Gefilte Fish For Passover Easy Recipe.
Carp meat is off-white in color, with a dark midlateral strip that's often removed before cooking - it can infuse the meat with a strong, musky flavor. It is low in fat, firm in texture, and mild-though it can be muddy in flavor. The skin is edible but not particularly tasty. Common carp have dark and rich flesh, Bighead carp have white and firm flesh. The Silver carp has a firm and white flesh with free-floating bones, slightly translucent. It is white and mild-tasting when cooked. Female carp flesh stays light; it is softer and more delicate than male, and is usually preferred.
Carp, cooked, dry heat fillet (6oz. / 170g.) provide Calories: 275, Protein: 38.9g, Carbohydrate: 0.0g, Total Fat: 12.2g, Fiber: 0.0g, Potassium: 726mg, Selenium: 27.5mcg, Vitamin B12: 2.5mcg, Vitamin E: 15.3 IU, and Magnesium: 64.6mg. 100 grams of cooked (dry heat) carp provides 0.797 grams of Omega-3 fatty acids derived from Eicosapentaenoic Acid (0.305g), Docosahexaenoic Acid (0.146g), and Alpha Lipoic Acid (0.346g).
Poached Carp Recipe - Jewish recipe of Gefilte Fish For Passover using fresh ground carp or a mixture of carp, whitefish and pike. Poached fish balls in homemade Cooking Sauce.
- 2 1/4 pounds (1 kg) fresh ground fish - either Carp or a mixture of carp, whitefish and Pike
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 raw egg
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup matzo meal>
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
Serves/Makes: 4 - 6
How to cook Gefilte Fish For Passover:
- Grind together all the Ingredients, and then mix in the ground fish.
- At this point the fish may be formed into logs - approx 3 inches wide and 12 inches long - wrapped tightly into tin foil for freezing.
- It is easy to slice for individual servings.
- Or, ovals about the size of a pear can be formed.
- Drop them into boiling Cooking Sauce for Gefilte Fish and allow them to cook slowly for 2 hours.
- Let cool before removing the fish balls from the sauce.
- Serve the Gefilte Fish For Passover with Horseradish on a bed of lettuce.
- A slice of the cooked carrot adds color to the dish.
Cooking Sauce for Gefilte Fish Ingredients:
- Fish bones and heads
- 4 cups water
- 4 carrots
- 3 onions
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
How to cook Cooking Sauce for Gefilte Fish:
- Bring to a boil and add the fish balls.
Gefilte fish is a ground fish recipe, popular with people of Ashkenazi Jewish heritage. Formally, it is a type of quenelle, a delicately flavored patty made of lightly seasoned ground fish or white meat. Similar dishes exist in many cultures in local recipes bland or spicy, served plain or sauced, and cooked in simple broth or as part of an elaborate fish stew.
This recipe for Gefilte Fish For Passover serves/makes: 4 - 6
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered
Back to top