Chinese Red Cooked Fish Recipe.
Carp meat is off-white in color, with a dark midlateral strip that's often removed before cooking - it can infuse the meat with a strong, musky flavor. It is low in fat, firm in texture, and mild-though it can be muddy in flavor. The skin is edible but not particularly tasty. The flesh of the Common carp is dark and rich, Bighead carp have white and firm flesh. The Silver carp has a firm and white flesh, with free-floating bones, slightly translucent, and white and mild-tasting when cooked. Female carp flesh stays light and is softer and more delicate than male, and is usually preferred.
Carp, cooked, dry heat fillet (6oz. / 170g.) provide Calories: 275, Protein: 38.9g, Carbohydrate: 0.0g, Total Fat: 12.2g, Fiber: 0.0g. It is an excellent source of: Potassium (726mg), Selenium (27.5mcg), Vitamin B12 (2.5mcg), and Vitamin E (15.3 IU), good source of: Magnesium (64.6mg). 100 grams of cooked (dry heat) carp provides 0.797 grams of Omega-3 fatty acids derived from Eicosapentaenoic Acid (0.305g), Docosahexaenoic Acid (0.146g), and Alpha Lipoic Acid (0.346g).
Simmered Carp Recipe - Chinese recipe how to simmer stuffed whole carp (sea bass, pike, red snapper, perch) with flour, peanut oil, Chinese rice wine, chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, scallions, ginger, and garlic.
- 1 whole fresh Carp, about 2 lbs, cleaned, but with head and tail left on
- 1/2 sliced onion
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 T shredded ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp peanut oil or flavorless vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine or pale dry sherry
- 1 cup chicken stock, fresh or canned
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 scallions, including the green tops, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 4 slices peeled, fresh ginger root, 1 inch in diameter and 1/8-inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound boneless lean pork, finely ground
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger root, peeled, finely chopped
Serves/Makes: 4 - 6
How to cook Chinese Red Cooked Fish:
- Combine in a bowl the ground pork, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, salt and ginger, and, with a large spoon or your hands, mix them together thoroughly.
- Put sliced onion, ginger, bacon on a pan and fry for 3 minutes.
- Place the fish in salt water and let it soak for 30 minutes. It will cut the fishy smell.
- Wash the carp well under cold running water and pat it dry inside and out with paper towels.
- Score the skin by making one row of diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart and 1/2-inch deep across its length from head to tail. Then turn the fish over and score the other side. Sprinkle the fish inside and out with the salt.
- Spread the flour over a sheet of wax paper and roll the fish about it on both sides. Then lift the fish by the tail and shake off any excess flour.
- Spoon the stuffing mixture into the cavity of the fish and press the flaps firmly together to enclose the stuffing. (It is not necessary to sew or skewer the opening.)
- Have the stuffed fish, oil, wine, chicken stock, soy sauce, scallions, ginger and garlic within easy reach.
- Set a 12-inch wok or 12-inch skillet over high heat for 30 seconds. Pour in the 3 tablespoons of oil, swirl it about in the pan and heat for another 30 seconds, turning the heat down to moderate if the oil begins to smoke.
- Add the garlic, place the fish in the pan and let it brown for 5 minutes, regulating the heat under the pan to prevent the fish from burning.
- Then turn the fish over gently with a spatula or 2 large spoons and brown the other side. Now pour in the wine, chicken stock, soy sauce and sugar; scatter the scallions and ginger on top of the fish and cover the pan.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and cook the fish undisturbed for 15 minutes, adjusting the heat to keep the stock simmering.
- Baste the fish with the braising liquid, re-cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes longer.
- To serve, gently transfer the fish from the pan to a large heated platter. With a cleaver or sharp knife, cut the top layer of the fish into 1 1/2-inch crosswise slices, but don�t cut through the backbone. Remove and discard the garlic and ginger, then pour the braising sauce over the fish.
- Serve at once. When the top slices have been served, carefully remove the backbone and the little center bones attached to it. Then slice and serve the bottom layer of fish, place fried onion, ginger, bacon. Serve with rice and broccoli.
This Chinese Red Cooked Fish is a very affordable dish. It is delicious, simple, quick and very easy to cook. The Chinese name for the Red Cooked Fish dish is Hung Shao Yu.
This recipe for Chinese Red Cooked Fish serves/makes: 4 - 6
Main Ingredient: Carp or
Sea Bass, or
Perch or any other firm white fish.
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered
How to clean a carp:
Because carp has large scales that are embedded in the skin, better to skin the fish. To remove skin, take a sharp knife and cut the skin off in strips, or dip fish in boiling water for 25 seconds, rub the skin off, and cool under running water.
Back to top