Polish Carp in Horseradish Sauce Recipe.
Carp meat is off-white in color, with a dark midlateral strip that's often removed before cooking - it can infuse the meat with a strong, musky flavor. It is low in fat, firm in texture, and mild-though it can be muddy in flavor. The skin is edible but not particularly tasty. The flesh of the Common carp is dark and rich, Bighead carp have white and firm flesh. The Silver carp has a firm and white flesh, with free-floating bones, slightly translucent, and white and mild-tasting when cooked. Female carp flesh stays light and is softer and more delicate than male, and is usually preferred.
Carp, cooked, dry heat fillet (6oz. / 170g.) provide Calories: 275, Protein: 38.9g, Carbohydrate: 0.0g, Total Fat: 12.2g, Fiber: 0.0g. It is an excellent source of: Potassium (726mg), Selenium (27.5mcg), Vitamin B12 (2.5mcg), and Vitamin E (15.3 IU), good source of: Magnesium (64.6mg). 100 grams of cooked (dry heat) carp provides 0.797 grams of Omega-3 fatty acids derived from Eicosapentaenoic Acid (0.305g), Docosahexaenoic Acid (0.146g), and Alpha Lipoic Acid (0.346g).
Simmered Carp Recipe - Polish recipe how to simmer carp fillets with vegetable stock, horseradish sauce, sour cream, butter, flour, eggs, sugar, and lettuce.
- 4 fresh Carp, fillets, about 6 ounces each
- 5 cups fresh vegetable stock
Ingredients fro Sour Cream-Horseradish Sauce:
- 3/4 cup creamed horseradish sauce
- 3/4 sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 apple (cleared from a peel and seeds)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Potatoes or Shredded lettuce to garnish
How to cook Polish Carp in Horseradish Sauce:
- Place the fish in salt water and let it soak for 10 minutes. It will cut the fishy smell.
- Wash fish well, rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix a horse-radish, sour cream, an apple, salt, sugar.
- Place the carp fillets in a large saucepan and cover with the stock.
- Bring to simmering point then cook at temperature 200 F for 6 - 10 minutes, or until fish flakes easily.
- Remove the fish from the stock, arrange on a serving platter, allow to cool then cover with clingfilm and chill in the refrigerator.
- Strain the fish cooking liquor and allow to cool.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook over a medium heat, stirring well, for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add 1 cup of the cool fish stock, stirring constantly then continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens (approx 20 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and stir in horseradish, sugar, salt, sour cream and eggs.
- Allow to cool for 15 - 20 minutes then pour over the chilled fish and garnish with shredded lettuce and boiled potatoes.
This Polish Carp in Horseradish Sauce is a very affordable dish. It is delicious, simple, quick and very easy to cook.
This recipe for Polish Carp in Horseradish Sauce serves/makes: 4
Main Ingredient: Carp , or
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered
How to fillet a carp:
To fillet, use a sharp, thin knife. With the carp lying on its side, insert the knife behind the gills, and cut in an arc down to just above the backbone. Continue cutting parallel to the backbone toward the tail. Bring the knife up at the tail and remove the fillet.
Back to top