Cajun Fried Porgy recipe.
Porgy, also known as sea bream or scup, is a lean fish with a coarse texture and delicate flavor, consisting of a large family of fish found in temperate and tropical waters all over the world. Porgy has a lot of small bones, so when selecting, it is best to buy larger specimens because they have a better meat to bone ratio, making the bones easier to remove. Gilthead bream weigh about 2 pounds and are always sold whole. They have firm, succulent flesh with excellent flavor. Red sea bream meat is rosy when raw but turns white when cooked; it is moist with rich, sweet flavor and firm but tender texture. Scup usualy averaging 1 pound or less; they have delicious lean and flaky flesh, but also contain many bones, which makes them difficult to fillet. They should be scaled and dressed before cooking, or large ones can be filleted. Red porgy have white, tender meat with large flake and mild, sweet, but satisfying flavor, though its numerous small bones make it hard to fillet. Sheepshead porgy have always been highly regarded as food and are pan-fried in the American South. The fat-bodied Northern porgy have firm, flaky flesh, though it is quite bony. The plump, golden-silver Jolthead porgy are delicious and beautiful fish.
Nutritional Value Per Serving: For approximately 3.5 ounces of Porgy fish with bone, cooked: Calories 112, Calories From Fat 31, Total Fat 3.4g, Including (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0.0g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8g., MonoUnsaturated Fat 1.1g), Cholesterol 12.0mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 3g, Protein 19g.
Spicy Cajun Fried whole Porgy with seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- 4 fresh porgies about 16 ounces each
- 1-2 eggs, beaten to mixture
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or fresh cracker meal
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil for frying
- Parsley (for garnish)
- Garlic powder to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste (Extremely spicy)
- 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to cook Cajun Fried Porgy:
- Clean and scale whole fish, remove heads.
- Season flour to taste with seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Pat fish dry and coat lightly with flour mixture.
- Dip in beaten egg mixture and let egg drip off.
- Roll into plain bread crumbs or fresh cracker meal.
- Fry in olive oil until brown and sprinkle with additional cayenne pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley and serve right away until warm. Very simple and tasty.
The Cajun Fried Porgy is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and very easy recipe.
This recipe for Cajun Fried Porgy serves/makes: 4-6
Main Ingredient: Red Porgy
Preparation Method: Fried
Back to top