Jewish Sweet and Sour Carp Recipe.
Carp meat is off-white in color, with a dark midlateral strip that's often removed before cooking - it can infuse the meat with a strong, musky flavor. It is low in fat, firm in texture, and mild-though it can be muddy in flavor. The skin is edible but not particularly tasty. The flesh of the Common carp is dark and rich, Bighead carp have white and firm flesh. The Silver carp has a firm and white flesh, with free-floating bones, slightly translucent, and white and mild-tasting when cooked. Female carp flesh stays light and is softer and more delicate than male, and is usually preferred.
Carp, cooked, dry heat fillet (6oz. / 170g.) provide Calories: 275, Protein: 38.9g, Carbohydrate: 0.0g, Total Fat: 12.2g, Fiber: 0.0g. It is an excellent source of: Potassium (726mg), Selenium (27.5mcg), Vitamin B12 (2.5mcg), and Vitamin E (15.3 IU), good source of: Magnesium (64.6mg). 100 grams of cooked (dry heat) carp provides 0.797 grams of Omega-3 fatty acids derived from Eicosapentaenoic Acid (0.305g), Docosahexaenoic Acid (0.146g), and Alpha Lipoic Acid (0.346g).
Poached Carp Recipe - Jewish recipe how to poach fresh carp with onions, brown sugar, lemon juice, raisins, bay leaves, ginger, cloves, and lemons.
- 1 fresh Carp, 4 pounds
- 2 medium onions
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 pieces cracked ginger
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 8 cloves
- 2 lemons, sliced paper thin
Serves/Makes: 8 - 10
How to cook Jewish Sweet and Sour Carp:
- Cut onions into thin round slices, separate into rings. Combine with sugar, lemon juice, raisins, bay leaves, ginger, salt, cloves and water and simmer 10 minutes until onions are fairly soft.
- Add carp and poach gently 20 - 25 minutes until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Do not overcook. Fish should not fall apart.
- Remove fish to deep dish in which all pieces can lie in a single layer.
- Strew lemon slices over the top and pour the cooking liquid with all the spices and onions over the fish; the liquid should barely cover it.
- Chill at least 8 hours and serve cold.
This Jewish Sweet and Sour Carp is a very affordable dish. It is delicious, simple, quick and very easy to cook.
This recipe for Jewish Sweet and Sour Carp serves/makes: 8 - 10
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered
How to clean a carp:
Because carp has large scales that are embedded in the skin, better to skin the fish. To remove skin, take a sharp knife and cut the skin off in strips, or dip fish in boiling water for 25 seconds, rub the skin off, and cool under running water.
Back to top